Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ninety miles and still smiling


I just wrapped up a 90 mile week, with 80 miles in 3 days over the weekend. I feel good, which is encouraging, because I've been struggling this winter to get back into the routine of doing the mileage. It's amazing how much one year of casual running can set you back when you start doing long runs again. I'll barely have a decent mileage base by the time I do the Keys race, but the Keys race is only one step on the way back to bigger goals.

I started out Friday morning at 4:30 am with the Buffaloes. We did a 5 1/2 mile loop, then I brought them home, did another 5 1/2 mile loop, then got home and Cat was there waiting. We did 20 miles together, mostly on the bike path, then I was at 30 miles. We both were complaining about feeling tired, low energy. We both had extremely busy weeks. We ran well though.

After Cat left, I took a break to eat some soup and change clothes. For some reason I felt like taking a shower too so I did that and then changed into all clean clothes. It felt so good!

I headed back out on the bike path and did two more out and backs of 11 and 13 miles before I was zoned out and ready for a nap. I did quite a bit of walking during this part and was flying, between 12 1/2 and 14 minute miles for walking pace! I need a lot of practice at getting my fast walking pace back, since it's so useful to keep me going during breaks from running during ultras.

I was at 54 miles when I got back to the house, around 5 pm, and felt like I could keep going except I was so tired that I'd be just walking the rest of the way, which would be silly. I decided that I would get some sleep. If I woke up from a nap, I'd go out and finish the 70. If not, I'd finish over the weekend.

I went to bed after eating dinner and slept for 11 hours. I woke up Saturday morning and felt great. I had a morning appointment to get my hair cut, so after that, I went out and did 16 miles in the cold wind. I felt fantastic! I ran fast, even with the headwind, and my legs weren't sore at all, hardly even stiff, and I felt good the whole way, didn't need to walk. That was a good call, to finish the 70 running instead of walking.

Sunday I did my weight workout and went to the sauna, then I ran in the afternoon, 10 miles of Horsetooth Hills starting with the Harvest Farm group. I ran well on the hills, I felt strong. Toward the end on the downhills I could feel my legs, they aren't sore but they are tired.

Food is my next priority...

4 comments:

Run Home Pam said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend, Alene!

Alene Gone Bad said...

It was perfect, Pam. Today is perfect too, as it's warm and I was able to start planting perennials in my new rock garden! I am treating myself to a day off from running, too. I hope it's spring where you are!

Amy said...

I can't believe how much running you pack into your schedule! I'm in KS and I think we are just now moving away from winter and even spring. Can't wait for consistantly warm weather. Anyway, enjoying your blog - keep writing!

Alene Gone Bad said...

Thanks Amy, spring is here. And if it's not, summer will be here eventually.

I wish I could run that many miles all the time, but I rarely run high mileage. I usually follow a long week by doing low mileage. If I had more energy and time I would run all the time.

Thanks for reading my blog!