Scatter my ashes here...

Scatter my ashes here...
scatter my ashes in the desert...

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sweet Dreams



I had my first dream about Badwater the other night! I dreamed that I was in the 8:00 starting wave and I woke up late, and it was 7:10 am and we had to drive from Furnace Creek to the start to get there in time. I also had a problem with my number- someone had dropped it in a puddle of oil and the ink faded, so my number wasn't visible! I needed a sharpie, STAT!

I think the dream had something to do with being afraid I'd oversleep for work. I started back on days this week. I'm not adjusted yet but I already feel better.


Yesterday during my break at work I ran into one of Dennis's friends in the cafeteria. Dennis has known Brent since way back in the early 90s when Dennis started working at the hospital. Brent is an adventurer and a photographer, and he has a great attitude toward work and life.

Brent and I talked about Badwater and we decided it would be a good idea to have a "puke-free zone" icon somewhere in the crew vehicle so I can be reminded of how hard to push myself, and where my limit is. Absolutely no puking allowed.

My hazmat suit top arrived this week, still waiting for the pants and hat. I'll post a picture once I get the whole thing.


Last week I definitely overdid it on the training. I needed a rest week, and this week I'm taking it. Last week I only ran three days but because of my work schedule they were back to back days and I ran a total of 27 miles too hard two days in a row, followed by 25 miles on the hills at Horsetooth Saturday. I hurt all over. I need to rest up and get back on the road!

The Badwater roster is out, and it looks like a supercompetitive womens' race! There are several past womens' winners of Badwater, Pam Reed is entered (womens' course record holder) and lots of other accomplished athletes. I'm not sure if this is the case but I think this could be the biggest women's field ever. I don't know if it's been this competitive before either. Look at this field, it is impressive: http://www.badwater.com/2008web/2008roster.html


I am excited and honored to be in this group although I don't have any plans to go out and try to stay with the leaders. I'm doing my own thing. I'm not intimidated, because you never know what can happen out there. It's a long race and the conditions will rule what you can do. I respect these athletes, and at the same time, I'm not afraid to push myself once I get past Stovepipe Wells. I am going to finish the race, and beyond that I have a list of goals in mind. Felix and I talked about my bad habit of not paying attention to the competition. That's another reason why I need my crew!


This week I am setting up an appointment to meet with the PVH Foundation again to go over some details about fundraising. I'm going to raise money for the Cancer Care Fund, and I'll be posting something about that soon. This fund provides resources for the patient navigator programs and education. I'll write about it at length in a blogpost in the near future.

No comments: